- Professor, Faculty of Biology, 2001 - present
University of Munich, Munich, Germany
- Postdoctoral Fellow (Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology), 1999-2001
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Postdoctoral Fellow (Department of Biology), 1998-1999
University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
- Ph. D. (Molecular and Cell Biology), 1998
University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- B. A. (Biology), 1992
Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, Pennsylvania
- DFG Grant “Genetic characterization of a sex-, chromosome-, and tissue-specific mechanism of gene expression regulation”, 2023-2026.
- DFG Grant “Emergence, loss and regulation of de novo genes”, 2022-2025.
(Project in Priority Program “Genomic Basis of Evolutionary Adaptations”)
- DFG Grant “Rapid evolution of gene regulation” (renewal), 2018-2021.
(Project in Priority Program “Rapid Evolutionary Adaptation”)
- DFG Grant "Adaptation of Drosophila melanogaster to oxidative stress in temperate environments", 2018-2021.
(Project in the Research Unit Seasonal Temperature Acclimation in Drosophila)
- DFG Grant "X chromosome inactivation in the Drosophila male germline" (renewal), 2017-2020.
- DFG Grant “Rapid evolution of gene regulation”, 2015-2018.
(Project in Priority Program “Rapid Evolutionary Adaptation")
- DFG Grant "X chromosome inactivation in the Drosophila male germline" (renewal), 2013-2016.
- DFG Grant "Gene expression variation in natural populations of Drosophila", 2011-2014.
(Renewal of the Research Unit Natural Selection in Structured Populations)
- DFG Grant "X chromosome inactivation in the Drosophila male germline, 2011-2014.
- BaCaTeC grant "Genome-wide analysis of sex-specific alternative splicing", 2010.
(Collaboration with Prof. Lauren McIntyre, University of Florida)
- DFG International Research Training Program
"RECESS - Regulation and Evolution of Cellular Systems", 2009-2013.
(Collaboration between LMU, TUM, and Moscow State University)
- DFG Grant "Gene expression variation in natural populations of Drosophila", 2008-2011.
(Project in the Research Unit Natural Selection in Structured Populations)
- DFG Grant "Resurrecting Ancestral Kinesins", 2007-2010.
(Collaboration with M. Schliwa, G. Woehlke, and M. Kollmar)
- DFG Grant "Evolution of Drosophila genes with sex-biased expression", 2007-2010.
- DFG Grant "Evolutionary and functional genomics of Drosophila gene expression", 2004-2007.
- DFG Grant "Molecular evolution of reproductive genes in Drosophila", 2004-2007.
- Molecular and Experimental Evolution
- Evolutionary Genetics
- Basic Evolutionary Genomics
- Advanced Evolutionary Genomics
- Molecular Biology and Biochemistry for Bioinformaticians
Molecular Biology and Evolution - associate editor, 2010 - present
BMC Genomics - associate editor, 2010 - 2017
- American Naturalist
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Biochemical Genetics
- Biochemical Journal
- Biology Letters
- BMC Evolutionary Biology
- BMC Genomics
- Current Biology
- G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics
- Genetics Research
- Genome Biology
- Genome Biology and Evolution
- Genome Research
- Human Molecular Genetics
- Insect Molecular Biology
- Journal of Experimental Zoology
- Journal of Molecular Evolution
- Molecular Biology and Evolution
- Molecular Ecology
- Nature Communications
- Nature Genetics
- Nature Reviews Genetics
- Nucleic Acids Research
- Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society: Biological Sciences
- PLoS ONE
- PLoS Biology
- PLoS Genetics
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA
- Procedings of the Royal Society: Biological Sciences
- Trends in Genetics
Professional Society Memberships
- Genetics Society of America
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution